Hospital Leaders Ponder Impact of Political Uncertainty
That means reducing cost, improving communication through electronic medical record systems, aligning physicians, and working at every level to improve quality of care and patient experience.
That's the opinion of Rulon Stacey, immediate past president of the American College of Healthcare Executives and now president of the newly formed University of Colorado Health, which includes some 1,500 beds in five hospitals from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs.
"We've been dealing with these kinds of public policy tug-of-wars now for such a long time, and you can't make meaningful strategic decisions on a public policy that is so volatile," he said on Friday. "You just can't do that. So the trick then becomes to identify things you know are happening independent of the policy debates."
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
Strategic Solutions for the Readmissions Challenge
Successfully preventing readmissions requires many players to fill the gaps in the care continuum. In this HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs report, we examine how four leading health systems—Griffin Hospital, Parkview Health, Sarasota Memorial HealthCare System, and UPMC Hamot—are moving the needle.
Like finding as many creative ways to reduce costs. "All organizations are being more judicious about how we spend money today than we were five years ago," Stacey says. "I don't know of any hospital that is banking their future on the fact that reimbursement in the future is going to go up. So yes, our job is going to be to decrease costs and increase quality simultaneously."
For Stacey, that has meant forging joint operating agreements between Poudre Valley Hospital, the Medical Center of the Rockies, the University of Colorado Hospital, and in the works, Memorial Health System in Colorado Springs, to become University of Colorado Health. The venture enables a massive electronic medical record system linking patients and providers along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT