AHA Objects to New Patient Experience Surveys
AHA was responding to CMS's January 25 request for information that sought input from hospitals about the proposed survey. The comment period ended on Tuesday.
CMS acknowledged in its request for information notice that "two related CAHPS surveys exist: however, they do not collect information specific to the patient experience of care in HOSD/ASC facilities."
The Hospital CAHPS (HCAHPS) survey collects data on inpatient experience and care ratings but does not include patients who receive outpatient surgical care from a hospital-based outpatient surgical department or patients who got that care from freestanding ACSs, CMS said.
The Surgical Care CAHPS survey focuses on inpatient and outpatient surgeries and includes questions about the patient's experience before, during and after the surgery. However, the survey focuses on the care provided by the physician and not the facility, CMS said.
Thompson countered in her letter that the CG-CAHPS and Surgical CAHPS "already include information highly relevant to assessing experience of care in ASCs and HOSDs."
"The CG-CAHPS survey evaluates practices and individual providers on several issues, including access to appointments, physician communication with patients, courtesy of office staff and follow up on testing results," she said.
"The Surgical CAHPS survey captures similar information, but with a focus on surgical care in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. Patients rate the quality of pre-and-post procedure information provided to them, the helpfulness of office staff, and communication with surgeons and anesthesiologists before and after the procedure."
Thompson raised concerns that the "proliferation of CAHPS surveys" confuses patients and makes it difficult for them to accurately assess their experience
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs