Business Roundup: Independent Hospitals Disappearing in OH
In a media release announcing the acquisition, UH said it would bring investments and new services as a major benefit to the agreement including expanding the presence of UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital that provides neonatal care at Parma Hospital. UH Case Medical Center, an academic medical center, will provide clinical research, and new technology and other innovations.
"Parma Hospital is a vital anchor institution in the communities that they serve," Thomas F. Zenty III, UH's CEO said in a media release. "We are honored to have the opportunity to support and share in their mission to provide the highest quality patient-centered care and to join with them and their physicians in advancing the vision of value-driven, affordable care."
Parma employs 2,000 people and has more than 500 physicians on its medical staff, for a service area that extends beyond its six founding cities of Parma, Parma Heights, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Seven Hills and North Royalton.
UH employs 18,000 people and its health system includes 10 hospitals and 20 outpatient health centers.
Deis says he isn't sure what his role will be when the deal is finalized later this year or if he will stay on as part of the new hospital management. "That is not going to be my decision, but I would hope that would be the case," he says.
Still, the adjustment will take some getting used to. "Once you are at the top of the organization, whatever sized organization, it is a little bit tough to adjust to not being the last say in things," he says.
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients