Value Indexing: Mayo Wants to Reform Healthcare Quality
"But, the beauty of this is that if you currently don't do well under this [model]—because your quality is not that good or your costs are real high, then that's even more incentive then to get the physicians and hospitals in that area to start working together and say: 'Hey, we've got to get our quality scores up and get our costs down; otherwise we're just killing ourselves,'" he noted. "That's part of the feedback that we think is a very integral part of this model."
And, attention is being paid at the federal. Two bills were introduced in Congress last month promoting the use of a value indexing. Sen. Amy Klobucher (D-MN) introduced S. 1249, the Medicare Payment Improvement Act of 2009, which proposes to create a value indexing mechanism for the physician work component of the Medicare physician fee schedule. Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) introduced a companion bill (HR 2844) in the House.
During last week's deliberations by the House Ways and Means Committee during hearings on the Tri-Committee health reform bill (HR 3200), Rep. Kind told the committee that not enough was being done "to change the incentives so reimbursement will be based on the value, rather than the volume, of services."
So will Congress consider a way to incorporate value indexing immediately into healthcare reform as it continues deliberations in the House and Senate? The Mayo Clinic is hoping so. In a July 22 letter to Congress that it co-signed with a dozen other healthcare organizations, it said that "'pay for value' is the only tactic that will 'bend the cost curve'" and improve quality of care.
Now is the time to find out.
Note: You can sign up to receive QualityLeaders, a free weekly e-newsletter that provides strategic information on the business of healthcare management from around the globe.
Janice Simmons is a senior editor and Washington, DC, correspondent for HealthLeaders Media Online. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer