HealthGrades Names Tops Cities for ED Care
The top 10 cities for emergency medicine identified by the study are:
- On average, for the 12 conditions studied, the percentage of cases admitted through the ED increased 2.64% from 2007 to 2009.
- Providence, RI; Las Vegas; Miami-Ft. Lauderdale; and New York City had the highest percentage of admission through the ED (93.05%, 91.65%, 91.12% and 90.78%, respectively).
- Lincoln, NE; Sioux Falls, SD; Wichita, KS; and Omaha, NE had the lowest percentage of admissions through the ED (48.06%, 53.72%, 54.84% and 62.32%, respectively).
Hospitals included in the study had to have a minimum threshold in terms of patient volumes, quality ratings, and the range of services provided. A copy of the study is available here.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- When a hospital closes
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare
- US health system among least efficient before Obamacare
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says