IHI: Hospitals, Patients Rethink Care; Berwick Blasts Rhetoric
Hospital-Centric No More?
Increasingly, hospitals and health system attendees said they are realizing that they need to rethink what kind of care they give and how they give it. And most importantly, where they give it. More often, the conjunction "with" is used, as in we treat disease with patients.
"I think at our system, hospital executives are coming to the conclusion that the hospital will not be the center hub of healthcare much longer," said Patricia Peers, MD, a family practitioner who came to the meeting from Sioux Falls, SD. "My goal now must be to never have a patient in the hospital."
IHI attendee Keith Poisson, COO of Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson, MD, said, "Hospitals have been hospital-centric." When he returns home, he said he will raise some questions about whether the hospital should also be involved with the local health department, churches, and schools.
"Part of what we're struggling with is how you do the right thing for the community when you're not incented to do so," Poisson added. "How do we transition from a fee-for-service model to one where we take risks for health, instead of focusing on attracting more doctors and bringing in more admissions."
In her keynote address, IHI president and CEO Maureen Bisognano praised Gundersen-Lutheran Health System in La Crosse, WI for spending its own resources to provide healthier food choices in school cafeterias as well as grocery and convenience stores.
In the hallways, attendees said they were starting to get the idea.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- Medicare is pricier in unhealthy states, study says
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals