HCAHPS Scores Show Wide Variation
Westlake is one of about 100 hospitals around the country that self-administer their own surveys rather than hire vendor such as NRC Picker or Press Ganey, according to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services spokeswoman Ellen Griffith Cohen. A hospital employee calls patients after their discharge, asks them survey questions and fills out the forms for them. Since CMS conducts oversight of the survey process from training to double checking response forms, self-administration shouldn't make a difference in the scores, she says.
The hospital with the second highest score was 17-bed Surgical Hospital of Southwoods in Youngstown, OH, with 97% of patient responders saying they would definitely recommend it.
And 99-bed Oklahoma Heart Hospital in Oklahoma City, OK, was third, with 96% of respondents saying they would recommend it. Oklahoma Heart tied with 32-bed Heart Hospital of Lafayette, LA.
On the other side of the scorecard for hospitals with 300 or more responses, patients at 326-bed Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago seem to be the least pleased with their care, with only 36% saying they would definitely recommend the hospital and 29% of patients saying they definitely would not or probably would not recommend.
Other survey responses from Jackson Park's patients were similarly negative. For example:
- 35% gave the hospital a high ranking of 9 or 10;
- 53% said the room was always clean (24% said it was never or sometimes clean);
- 52% and 68%, respectively, said nurses and doctors communicated well.
- 55% said their pain was always well-controlled.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch