Florida Hospital, Health First to Create Health Plan
"We believe that payers have to be aligned with providers to lower that medical spend with an emphasis on health and wellness. Right now we get paid when people are sick, so there is no incentive for us to keep them out of the hospital. We believe that aligning with a payer like Health First will provide us with the opportunity to focus on health and wellness and then over the course of time we believe that will bring down the health spend that will help our governments and our employers."
FHHS operates healthcare networks in 10 Central Florida counties stretching from Tampa to Orlando to Daytona Beach, with 23 hospitals, 22 urgent care centers, more than 4,000 physicians and ancillary providers. FHHS also provides third party administrative services for employers in the region.
Health First is Central Florida's only fully integrated health system, with more than 7,500 employees and four hospitals. Health First Health Plans offers plans in Brevard and Indian River Counties. Health First Medical Group is the largest multi-specialty physician group on Florida's Space Coast.
See Also: PA Hospitals Mull Health Plan Launch
Adam Powell, a healthcare economist, says the new partnership is "yet the latest in a series of narrow network plans that have emerge in response to healthcare reform."
"These plans tend to offer people high-value care delivered from a concentrated set of providers in their area," says Powell, president of Boston-based consultants Payer+Provider.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- Size Matters in Antibiotic Overuse
- Physicians Take SGR Repeal Message to Washington
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers