Provider Organizations Unhappy with Proposed Health IT Rules
In particular, the rules include many requirements that will create barriers to physician efforts to achieve the designation of meaningful use, including:
- Meeting thresholds for some of the meaningful use criteria (i.e., computerized prescription order entry, electronic claim submission, and electronic insurance eligibility verification).
- Addressing "potentially difficult" meaningful use attestations after the first year.
- Meeting a requirement that physician offices provide patients and others with electronic copies of medical records.
While the CMS and ONC rules include "some flexibility," especially in the areas of escalating stages of meaningful use requirements and reasonable 90 day reporting windows, the government "should make additional changes to achieve widespread adoption by professionals in all types of clinical settings," Jessee said.
The American Medical Association (AMA) said it will carefully review the proposed rules on standards for EHR use and incentives and provide formal comments before the 60 day comment period ends.
AMA said it is looking at the importance of realistic timeframes for adoption and at the removal of “extraneous requirements that would delay successful adoption and reasonable reporting requirements," said AMA board member Steven Stack, MD. "We want physicians in all practice sizes and specialties to be able to take advantage of the stimulus incentives and adopt new technologies that can improve patient care and physician workflow."
Janice Simmons is a senior editor and Washington, DC, correspondent for HealthLeaders Media Online. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- In Lakeport, CA, a Population Health Laboratory is Born
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Slideshow: Healthcare Executives Eye Efficiency
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Upfront costs of going digital overwhelm some doctors
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs