Large Patient Information Breach List Climbs to 265
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, whose Oct. 2, 2009 breach affected 998,442 individuals, owns the fourth spot on the list. That incident involved the theft of hard drives.
OCR's breach list required by HITECH, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 privacy subpart that includes greater breach notification requirements and more public scrutiny and increased fines for HIPAA violations.
The reporting requirement is included in the interim final rule on breach notification, which became effective on September 23, 2009.
Dom Nicastro is a contributing writer. He edits the Medical Records Briefings newsletter and manages the HIPAA Update Blog.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL