Large Patient Information Breach List Climbs to 265
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, whose Oct. 2, 2009 breach affected 998,442 individuals, owns the fourth spot on the list. That incident involved the theft of hard drives.
OCR's breach list required by HITECH, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 privacy subpart that includes greater breach notification requirements and more public scrutiny and increased fines for HIPAA violations.
The reporting requirement is included in the interim final rule on breach notification, which became effective on September 23, 2009.
Dom Nicastro is a contributing writer. He edits the Medical Records Briefings newsletter and manages the HIPAA Update Blog.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees