Large Patient Information Breach List Climbs to 265
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, whose Oct. 2, 2009 breach affected 998,442 individuals, owns the fourth spot on the list. That incident involved the theft of hard drives.
OCR's breach list required by HITECH, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 privacy subpart that includes greater breach notification requirements and more public scrutiny and increased fines for HIPAA violations.
The reporting requirement is included in the interim final rule on breach notification, which became effective on September 23, 2009.
Dom Nicastro is a contributing writer. He edits the Medical Records Briefings newsletter and manages the HIPAA Update Blog.
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- RN Named Chief Patient Experience Officer
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Six Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- In PCMH, the 'P' is Not for 'Physician'
- Population Health Pays Off for NY Collaborative
- How Simple Data Analytics is Driving Physician Incentives