5 Tech Tips to Boost ED Throughput
4. Aid referrals
More than 60% of CHA's ED patients have a primary care physician but if a patient doesn't have one, an alert system can be used to send a message to the outpatient clinic closest to the patient's home. Then the clinic can follow-up with the patient to help him or her find a primary care physician.
Scripps Health is using simulation software to observe and track patients and show their movements through the system visually, identifying bottlenecks, in particular.
"There are certain elements of ED throughput that are very predictable," says Mary Ellen Doyle, RN, vice president of nursing operations at Scripps. "Simulation allows you to do rapid cycle testing, and the cost savings associated with using simulation can be significant."
Read more of the strategies organizations are using to improve their EDs in The Coordinated ED.
ED Management Strategies Linked to Revenue Recovery
HealthLeaders Media Rounds: Remaking Your Emergency Department
4 Ways to Accelerate ED Triage, Boost Revenue
Reston, VA, hospital uses texting to announce ED waiting time
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening