5 Tech Tips to Boost ED Throughput
4. Aid referrals
More than 60% of CHA's ED patients have a primary care physician but if a patient doesn't have one, an alert system can be used to send a message to the outpatient clinic closest to the patient's home. Then the clinic can follow-up with the patient to help him or her find a primary care physician.
Scripps Health is using simulation software to observe and track patients and show their movements through the system visually, identifying bottlenecks, in particular.
"There are certain elements of ED throughput that are very predictable," says Mary Ellen Doyle, RN, vice president of nursing operations at Scripps. "Simulation allows you to do rapid cycle testing, and the cost savings associated with using simulation can be significant."
Read more of the strategies organizations are using to improve their EDs in The Coordinated ED.
ED Management Strategies Linked to Revenue Recovery
HealthLeaders Media Rounds: Remaking Your Emergency Department
4 Ways to Accelerate ED Triage, Boost Revenue
Reston, VA, hospital uses texting to announce ED waiting time
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians