PMH Trustees OK Affiliation with Duke LifePoint
"Person Memorial Hospital is a great asset to the Roxboro community," said William F. Carpenter III, Chairman/CEO of LifePoint Hospitals. "Duke LifePoint has been very impressed with the hospital, and we look forward to learning more about its staff and community. We are delighted to have the opportunity to be a part of this facility's future and to partner with it to address changing healthcare needs within Person County and surrounding areas and help the hospital and its community grow and prosper."
The affiliation will give PMH access to Duke LifePoint's clinical, operational and financial resources, and is expected to bolster physician recruiting and investment in new technology and capital improvements at the hospital.
A local board of trustees and physician advisory council will be created to ensure local involvement and governance of the hospital. Proceeds from the proposed sale could be used to create a community foundation that will support local non-profit organizations.
"Duke has had a management relationship with Person Memorial for 13 years, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to expand this relationship through Duke LifePoint," said William J. Fulkerson, Jr., MD, executive vice president of Duke University Health System. "The medical staff and employees at PMH have a strong commitment to clinical excellence and patient satisfaction, and we look forward to the prospect of working together to further strengthen the delivery of healthcare services to the community."
The due diligence process is expected to take approximately 60-90 days and will involve meetings with PMH employees and medical staff and members of the community. The transaction would require the approval of the North Carolina attorney general's office.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013