ICD-10 Delay No License to Chill
Being handed an extension on ICD-10 may feel liberating today. But wise leaders will take a lesson from the words of Michelle Mahan, Vice President and CFO, Frederick Memorial Regional Health System, Frederick, MD.
Some, she says ,"may not totally appreciate the enormity of [the] task, and that might be something that comes back to bite them."
Mahan served as a panelist in a roundtable discussion of costs incorporated into an Impact Analysis report titled ICD-10: Skating on Thin Margins. The roundtable met before the deadline extension was announced, but Mahan's words resonate with meaning. This is not the time to put ICD-10 plans on the shelf.
Rather, it is time to re-assess your team's readiness, and as soon as possible, to modify your plans. Otherwise, with time and neglect , ICD-10 will again come to feel like a yoke.
ICD-10: It's Later Than You Think
Edward Prewitt is the Editorial Director of HealthLeaders Media.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion