ICD-10 Delay No License to Chill
Being handed an extension on ICD-10 may feel liberating today. But wise leaders will take a lesson from the words of Michelle Mahan, Vice President and CFO, Frederick Memorial Regional Health System, Frederick, MD.
Some, she says ,"may not totally appreciate the enormity of [the] task, and that might be something that comes back to bite them."
Mahan served as a panelist in a roundtable discussion of costs incorporated into an Impact Analysis report titled ICD-10: Skating on Thin Margins. The roundtable met before the deadline extension was announced, but Mahan's words resonate with meaning. This is not the time to put ICD-10 plans on the shelf.
Rather, it is time to re-assess your team's readiness, and as soon as possible, to modify your plans. Otherwise, with time and neglect , ICD-10 will again come to feel like a yoke.
ICD-10: It's Later Than You Think
Edward Prewitt is the Editorial Director of HealthLeaders Media.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations