ICD-10 Delay No License to Chill
Being handed an extension on ICD-10 may feel liberating today. But wise leaders will take a lesson from the words of Michelle Mahan, Vice President and CFO, Frederick Memorial Regional Health System, Frederick, MD.
Some, she says ,"may not totally appreciate the enormity of [the] task, and that might be something that comes back to bite them."
Mahan served as a panelist in a roundtable discussion of costs incorporated into an Impact Analysis report titled ICD-10: Skating on Thin Margins. The roundtable met before the deadline extension was announced, but Mahan's words resonate with meaning. This is not the time to put ICD-10 plans on the shelf.
Rather, it is time to re-assess your team's readiness, and as soon as possible, to modify your plans. Otherwise, with time and neglect , ICD-10 will again come to feel like a yoke.
ICD-10: It's Later Than You Think
Edward Prewitt is the Editorial Director of HealthLeaders Media.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs