Medical Home's Payoff Comes From Effort and Technology
"That was our proof of concept," says Steven J. Kravet, MD, MBA, FACP, president of JHCP. The three goals of the initiative are closely aligned with the objectives of healthcare reform:
- Improve health in measurable ways.
- Improve care through improved patient experience.
- Reduce cost by reducing unneeded and over-utilized acute care.
HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs
The Promise of Healthcare Analytics
Healthcare is rich in data. Yet healthcare lags in using data analytics to learn about the people it serves and to improve its operations and bottom line. Leaders are overcoming structural and cultural hurdles to involve many end users—executives, managers, and clinicians—as well as analysts.
Measures of success and financial incentives
The initial pilot achieved Level 3 certification as recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). In 2009, JHCP achieved this status at two additional non-pilot clinics. Currently, five clinics have attained Level 3 certification.
In 2011, JHCP's participating clinics joined the state of Maryland's Multi-payer PCMH Program, covering 62 practices throughout the state. "The idea is, the sites that are participating will have enough coordination from each of the payers that they can make meaningful investments in their care coordination infrastructure," Kravet says.
All sites participating in the Maryland statewide program have financial incentives. The higher the level of NCQA certification they have achieved, the higher proportion of shared savings payments they receive, Kravet says.
A cornerstone of care coordination is a patient portal featuring patient-initiated secure messaging. From this portal, patients receive continuity of care. Patient access and associated perceptions of access to care are key measures of the success of the PCMH model.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion