Why Hospitals, Doctors Trail the HIT Revolution
But that's what we do in technology. We have all these guys invent technology, then they give it all to the doctors and say, I'm sure you'll figure out something to do with this. Good luck.
Doctors want technology to be as simple as writing a script for a drug. We'll even provide a monitoring service for it, and you doctors, as far as you're concerned, you're done. That's what technology has to do for doctors. I'm going to find out only when someone else has got a bazillion alerts, and everything they've tried still isn't working, and you actually need to see me again.
But I'm not going to get all the alerts. I'm not going to monitor you. Someone else is going to do all that. I'm just going to see you when everything else has failed.
HLM: I guess the question you're posing is, who is that someone else?
Wasden: Basically you've got these new systems integrators that are emerging on the scene that are saying, we're going to take all the complexity of all this technology and we're going to simplify it for you. Doctors are going to be the last in the healthcare ecosystem to adopt most of these new technologies. Consumers are going to drive it. Employers are going to drive it.
We're very bullish on the employers driving, because within five years, I think almost no employer is going to have a defined benefit for healthcare. They're going to have a defined contribution.
Here's your money. If you want to go to an exchange and get your health insurance, fine. If you want to get it through us, fine, but the amount that we're giving you is capped. You want more than that, you pay for it yourself.
If you look at behavioral psychology, you find that people actually have five times the receptors for pain that they do for pleasure. So you've got to have these carrots and sticks. You've got to have metrics. They need to be objective. They can't be self-reported.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers