Q&A: Kaiser Permanente's CIO on Predictive Analytics and Other Challenges
HealthLeaders: How do you feel about Meaningful Use Stage 2 at this point? Are you feeling good about it? Kind of tense?
Fasano: I think, like any other leader of an IT organization in healthcare, Meaningful Use as a topic is a substantial amount of work, and is not without challenges. Our organization is facing the same challenges as every other, in terms of getting to the level of performance Meaningful Use Stage 2 requires.
That said, within Kaiser Permanente, I'm quite confident in the many teams we have working on this particular effort, the way they're focused on the effort, and frankly, the progress they've made. That gives me comfort that we'll make the deadline and we'll certainly, reasonably well, if not comfortably, clear the hurdles that Meaningful Use Stage 2 has put in front of us.
HealthLeaders: How about ICD-10?
Fasano: We're equally focused on ICD-10, and I can tell you from the health plan standpoint, as we're thinking about our ICD-10 work—even in the world of just claims systems, that have to be augmented for ICD-10—we're in the throes of creating our next-generation claims systems at Kaiser Permanente, so we will go and do what's called a wrapper around our current legacy claims systems to allow them to meet the ICD-10 deadlines of 2014.
Our expectation is that all of our claims systems will do that. During the course of 2013 to 2016, we'll be replacing our current claims systems with new claims systems, a common platform across the entire institution, all of which will be ICD-10 functional, compatible, and organized. So from our standpoint, we'll meet it today, and we'll have our next generation of claims systems, which will meet the requirements as well.
HealthLeaders: And the technology is there? Epic is on board?
Fasano: They are. They absolutely are. I'll say this: I'm highly confident of Epic's ability to meet ICD-10.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers