Q&A: Analytics-as-a-Service from Deloitte and Intermountain Healthcare
HealthLeaders: Is this a service that Deloitte is just delivering to customers, so there's nothing a customer need install? Do they have to set up a new data warehouse or anything like that?
Davis: There's really two dimensions to it, depending on the client need. There is a full cloud-based subscription service, where a health system who may be doing comparative effectiveness research on real-world data can access the tool and not implement anything on-site, [They can] glean insights through the tool into Intermountain data in an ethical, secure way, but health systems and even pharma companies also want to do comparative analytics with their own data that they may have. In that case, they can feed the tool, the platform, through an existing warehouse that they may have, or they may ask Deloitte to help them with putting a warehouse in place to feed the OutcomesMiner platform so they can look at their own clinical variation. Traditional benchmarking at system levels is interesting to potentially diagnose that your CHF population or your asthmatic population is not performing as well relative to your peers, but if you're going to start taking on more risk in managing populations, you really need to be able to get granular. You need to start getting down into what I call "clinical nuance," and understand that it might be CHF patients who have these other two comorbidities—psychosis, hypertension, and diabetes—are on these two drugs, etc. Existing platforms and tools on the market don't give you that level of clinical nuance to be able to actually go beyond this and start to identify the sub-stratified populations that you really need to be going after.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries