Q&A: Analytics-as-a-Service from Deloitte and Intermountain Healthcare
HealthLeaders: Is this a service that Deloitte is just delivering to customers, so there's nothing a customer need install? Do they have to set up a new data warehouse or anything like that?
Davis: There's really two dimensions to it, depending on the client need. There is a full cloud-based subscription service, where a health system who may be doing comparative effectiveness research on real-world data can access the tool and not implement anything on-site, [They can] glean insights through the tool into Intermountain data in an ethical, secure way, but health systems and even pharma companies also want to do comparative analytics with their own data that they may have. In that case, they can feed the tool, the platform, through an existing warehouse that they may have, or they may ask Deloitte to help them with putting a warehouse in place to feed the OutcomesMiner platform so they can look at their own clinical variation. Traditional benchmarking at system levels is interesting to potentially diagnose that your CHF population or your asthmatic population is not performing as well relative to your peers, but if you're going to start taking on more risk in managing populations, you really need to be able to get granular. You need to start getting down into what I call "clinical nuance," and understand that it might be CHF patients who have these other two comorbidities—psychosis, hypertension, and diabetes—are on these two drugs, etc. Existing platforms and tools on the market don't give you that level of clinical nuance to be able to actually go beyond this and start to identify the sub-stratified populations that you really need to be going after.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- New G-Code to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014