MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
"Second, end-to-end testing can identify critical problems well prior to the Oct. 1, 2014 compliance date and permit trading partners to institute the appropriate modifications to systems and/or workflow. Finally, end-to-end testing is the only practical method practices will have to accurately predict and respond to Medicare coding edits and fully understand the impact that ICD-10 will have on reimbursements."
Turney said that "end-to-end testing between trading partners is absolutely critical to measure operational predictability and readiness."
"In addition, commercial health plans traditionally take their direction on these types of operational issues directly from Medicare. With Medicare refusing to engage in end-to-end testing with their physician practice partners it is likely that many of these commercial plans will also not test," she said.
'A Little Hyperbole'
Turney noted that the healthcare industry was wracked by confusion with the transfer in January, 2012 to HIPAA Version 5010. She said that a failure to identify issues with ICD-10 "well before the compliance date will lead directly to a protracted industry implementation and significant disruption of cash flow for a large number of physician practices. With HIPAA Version 5010, more testing and better dissemination of the testing results could have averted many of the problems that practices, clearinghouses, health plans, and software vendors experienced prior to and immediately after their 'go live' dates."
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic