HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for Healthcare CIOs
Carequality's goal, announced also in low-key fashion at the very start of last week, is to facilitate agreement on a common national-level set of requirements that will enable providers to access patient data from other groups as easily and securely as today's bank customers connect to disparate banks and user accounts on the ATM network.
The following 26 organizations have signed up as founding members: California Association of Health Information Exchanges, CareEvolution, Community Health Information Collaborative, CVS MinuteClinic, eClinicalWorks, Epic, Greenway Health, HIElix, Hyland Software, ICA, Intermountain Healthcare, InterSystems, Kaiser Permanente, lifeIMAGE, MDI Achieve, Medfusion, Medicity, MedVirginia, Mirth, Netsmart, New York eHealth Collaborative, Optum, Orion Health, Santa Cruz Health Information Exchange, Surescripts, and Walgreens.
At HIMSS, I approached CommonWell leader and RelayHealth vice president of strategy Arien Malec for a comment on Carequality, and he seemed fairly certain that there can be a meeting of the minds between CommonWell and Carequality at the appropriate time.
What About Deliverables?
Setting an April 1 deadline to become a founding member, Carequality was a bit vague on deliverables, saying it was just beginning its activities on a common interoperability framework. But it seems that in this pivotal year where healthcare interoperability has to take more definite shape, stakeholders are certainly filling their calendars with commitments to once again see if work by committee can trump the forces of free-market competition.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers