HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for Healthcare CIOs
Carequality's goal, announced also in low-key fashion at the very start of last week, is to facilitate agreement on a common national-level set of requirements that will enable providers to access patient data from other groups as easily and securely as today's bank customers connect to disparate banks and user accounts on the ATM network.
The following 26 organizations have signed up as founding members: California Association of Health Information Exchanges, CareEvolution, Community Health Information Collaborative, CVS MinuteClinic, eClinicalWorks, Epic, Greenway Health, HIElix, Hyland Software, ICA, Intermountain Healthcare, InterSystems, Kaiser Permanente, lifeIMAGE, MDI Achieve, Medfusion, Medicity, MedVirginia, Mirth, Netsmart, New York eHealth Collaborative, Optum, Orion Health, Santa Cruz Health Information Exchange, Surescripts, and Walgreens.
At HIMSS, I approached CommonWell leader and RelayHealth vice president of strategy Arien Malec for a comment on Carequality, and he seemed fairly certain that there can be a meeting of the minds between CommonWell and Carequality at the appropriate time.
What About Deliverables?
Setting an April 1 deadline to become a founding member, Carequality was a bit vague on deliverables, saying it was just beginning its activities on a common interoperability framework. But it seems that in this pivotal year where healthcare interoperability has to take more definite shape, stakeholders are certainly filling their calendars with commitments to once again see if work by committee can trump the forces of free-market competition.
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients