5 Big Ideas for Physician Groups
Margaret Dick Tocknell, for HealthLeaders Media, November 2, 2011
- Physicians have a role in incentivizing patient behavior.
My insurer tells me that I can earn $50 just by completing an online health risk assessment. I still haven’t taken the time. But what if my insurer put some real money on the table and got my doctor involved in the process? One insurer offered $1,000 for family members to complete an HRA, review it with their primary care physician, and then develop and follow a medical care plan. Its HRA completion rate jumped to a whopping 80%. By engaging physicians and adding a medical plan, this insurer added real value to the HRA.
- Healthcare will be important to economic development.
Employers will send their jobs to cities and states that support a robust healthcare industry with sufficient providers. Some companies are already taking healthcare services into consideration when they look at facility locations. Employers are becoming more aware of how healthcare price competition and availability of medical services can affect their workforce and their bottom line.
- Making a list and checking it twice isn’t just for Santa Claus.
Physician offices can benefit from developing checklists for even routine activities. A checklist clarifies a process so the same steps are taken each time. It establishes priorities, makes sure everything that needs to get done gets done, reduces errors, and can help the physician office staff function better as a team. It’s a relatively simple effort that can save a practice time and money.
These hot topics will change the practice of medicine for years to come. If you were at MGMA, or even if you weren’t, what’s your take on these big ideas?
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses