As MissionPoint ACO Turns One, Membership Up, Costs Down
Strategic Market is Key
One key to MissionPoint's progress with engagement may be its strategic target marketing to self-funded employers. According to Dinger, they share only one commonality—commitment to slowing costs for employees.
"They could be technology companies; they could be manufacturing companies. They could be 1,000 employees; they could be 10,000 employees. What's true for all of them is they are fully committed to ensuring that their health benefits are sustainable for their employees long-term, [and] that it doesn't overly burden their employees with growing healthcare costs."
Money is a powerful motivator, and that could be at play with self-funded groups that are closer to seeing to how medical decisions affect their paychecks than those relying on the employer to pick a carrier. Certainly, employees are looking closer at their options during annual enrollment, but Dinger says the self-funded groups it is working with know their populations well and are more engaged.
"We look at over 50 different indicators on a regular basis. We have seen a significant reduction in readmissions. We have seen increased physician visits among the population, and better adherence to medication," says Dinger.
It's important to remember the improved health and cost for MissionPoint's members don't exist in the healthcare industry vacuum of cost curves and new payment models. Health insurance can be a competitive advantage in the workplace for retaining and attracting employees, which could emerge as a sleeper indicator of the success of new payment models, even with a large wave of new members entering the system.
Getting BCBS-TN on board extends MissionPoint's access to the plan's more than 500,000 self-funded members.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees