As MissionPoint ACO Turns One, Membership Up, Costs Down
Strategic Market is Key
One key to MissionPoint's progress with engagement may be its strategic target marketing to self-funded employers. According to Dinger, they share only one commonality—commitment to slowing costs for employees.
"They could be technology companies; they could be manufacturing companies. They could be 1,000 employees; they could be 10,000 employees. What's true for all of them is they are fully committed to ensuring that their health benefits are sustainable for their employees long-term, [and] that it doesn't overly burden their employees with growing healthcare costs."
Money is a powerful motivator, and that could be at play with self-funded groups that are closer to seeing to how medical decisions affect their paychecks than those relying on the employer to pick a carrier. Certainly, employees are looking closer at their options during annual enrollment, but Dinger says the self-funded groups it is working with know their populations well and are more engaged.
"We look at over 50 different indicators on a regular basis. We have seen a significant reduction in readmissions. We have seen increased physician visits among the population, and better adherence to medication," says Dinger.
It's important to remember the improved health and cost for MissionPoint's members don't exist in the healthcare industry vacuum of cost curves and new payment models. Health insurance can be a competitive advantage in the workplace for retaining and attracting employees, which could emerge as a sleeper indicator of the success of new payment models, even with a large wave of new members entering the system.
Getting BCBS-TN on board extends MissionPoint's access to the plan's more than 500,000 self-funded members.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery