3 Health Technologies to Watch
Finally, there's a growing recognition that telehealth can aid in monitoring patients after discharge, potentially cutting down on ED visits and readmissions. That will be important as bundled payments move from theory to reality. In this year's CFO survey, finance leaders said bundled payments will have a negative impact on their organization (48%); another 7% said they'll have a strongly negative impact.
LAST CHANCE: Industry Survey 2012
You have something to say. And we want to hear it.
Take the 2012 HealthLeaders Media Industry Survey now—in 10 minutes or less, share your insight and help define industry trends. Act today and you may win an iPad.
TAKE THE SURVEY
"Prepare now to ensure a smooth transition—don't wait!" exclaims CMS's ICD-10 site. But in the 2011 survey it's clear that the healthcare industry, famous for its "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to preparing for pending regulations, is indeed waiting. In the 2011 survey, only 9% of IT leaders said their organizations are ready for ICD-10. Most (64%) said they'll be ready within one to two years.
CMS's timeline calls for internal ICD-10 testing in January. But the ICD-10 switch is currently set to flip October 1, 2013—a date that must seem very far off to those who are otherwise occupied with more pressing IT projects, such as becoming meaningful users of electronic health systems.
It's no wonder healthcare leaders are not excited to get started: Many healthcare leaders think they'll lose money on ICD-10. And they're unsure if they'll ever recoup the money they spend on implementation.
But there's danger in procrastinating when it comes to ICD-10—it has the potential to blow margins to smithereens if not completed on time.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- New G-Code to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014