5 Reasons You Need an HIE Now
2. Mergers and acquisitions: M&As will only accelerate your need for health information exchanges. Many of your organizations are already the product of the merger of two or more earlier systems. Such mergers, and any technology and business system purchases any system makes along the way, deal a particular deck of technology cards to your senior leadership, and winning the game means playing those cards as strategically as possible.
3. Interoperability: Playing your interoperability cards right gives you leverage with your vendor suppliers. Like any card game, you'll have to gamble at times. There may even be bluffing, especially as you negotiate with technology vendors. While you've been busy running your healthcare system, those vendors have been tirelessly working to develop and market technology to lock you in to those solutions. The more you know about how to move your data and business processes from one such system to another, the more leverage you will have in your vendor negotiations.
4. Standardization: You are balancing your need for industry standardization with your need to differentiate yourself among your local competitors. Market winners still manage to offer something special to customers. That means customizing technology to meet particular local needs. Sure, there will be standards—of care, of technology, and of quality reporting. But the best technology goes beyond all these things to delight those who use it.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers