3 Readmissions to Reduce Now
3. Prepare for Penalties Now
Although many questions remain about how Medicare’s readmission penalties will play out, including expected readmission rates per hospital and how penalties will be levied in a bundled payment program, there are still clear actions all health care organizations can and should take immediately, including the following:
- Know your readmission metrics including original discharge disposition and origin of readmission
- Calculate readmission rates by condition, physician performance and post acute care facility
- Regularly share readmission data with key stakeholders, including physicians, senior executives and case management
- Identify opportunities based on patient demographics and common readmissions
- Screen and target patients based on risk assessments
- Compare disease-specific outcome measures to national and local competitor rates.
Neal Gold, MD, is Director of Sg2.
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- RN Named Chief Patient Experience Officer
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- How Simple Data Analytics is Driving Physician Incentives
- Population Health Pays Off for NY Collaborative
- In PCMH, the 'P' is Not for 'Physician'
- AMA Pushes Lame Duck Congress for SGR Repeal