Leapfrog Issues Hospital Safety Report Cards
For example, some hospitals with excellent reputations scored poorly. Among the surprises, Baldridge Award winner Henry Ford's main campus in Detroit and the Cleveland Clinic's main campus and most of its hospitals (except for its Florida location) scored Cs, she says.
On the other hand, she says, "some hospitals that serve some of the most challenged populations in the U.S. earn As, such as Bellevue and Montefiore in New York City and Detroit Receiving" Hospital in Detroit.
"Though some hospitals surprised us, a good many did not, with highly regarded hospitals earning a safety score consistent with their larger reputation: like Mayo, Virginia Mason, Brigham and Women’s, and NYU—all (received) As," Binder says.
On the lower end of the rating system, hospitals that received a "grade pending," indicating a D or F, include University of California Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles; Jackson Memorial Hospital, Jackson North Medical Center and Jackson South Community Hospital in the Miami area; Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, VA; Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta; St. Joseph's Hospital in Philadelphia; and Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, TX.
Jha says his analysis of the scorecard reveals that hospital scores are distributed throughout the grades relatively evenly, so it isn't like hospitals that take care of the sickest patients get the poorer grades. Nor is there any pattern seen based on the hospital's size, region of the country, for profit, public or private, non-profit ownership, or whether it is an academic teaching hospital.
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- PCI: Concerns Mount About Appropriateness
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions