Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool
"HealthSpot has built a solution that merges technology with convenience in patient care," said Steve Cashman, founder and CEO of HealthSpot. "Our innovation utilizes today's technology combined with modern medicine to diagnose and treat patients in ways that are affordable, convenient, and effective."
Before unveiling its kiosk at CES, HealthSpot ran pilot programs to test its concept with several partners in Ohio. These programs included a test involving 400 patients and 15 physicians affiliated with Central Ohio Primary Care, as well as tests with The Cleveland Clinic and the University Hospitals health network in Cleveland.
"Every pilot program was different," said Lisa Maughan, vice president of marketing for HealthSpot. "University Hospitals used the kiosks as part of a triage program to divert patients who didn't require emergency care away from their ERs. The Cleveland Clinic tested them in two of their Express Care urgent care clinics. But all of them had the same goals in mind of driving down costs while providing a new access point for care."
This year, the company began laying the groundwork to roll out its HealthSpot kiosks to new partners outside of Ohio. In January, it signed a partnership agreement with Teladoc, a telemedicine company that will provide HealthSpot with board-certified physicians to conduct virtual consultations. It also signed a deal with the Miami Children's Hospital (MCH); that organization plans to use the HealthSpot Stations as part of its Global Telehealth Command Center, which allows pediatric specialists to conduct telehealth conferences with children and their families and write e-prescriptions.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up