Medical Error Cost Calculator Riles AHA
Hospital organizations, however, strongly objected to the release of the tool.
"The information provided on the Leapfrog Group's new safety tool makes a number of erroneous assumptions in methodology, which are not referenced or validated," says a statement from the American Hospital Association.
"First, it looks at infection data from California and projects that data onto the rest of the county without clearly defining how the methodology adjusts for a variety of factors.
"Second, more complex patients tend to need more procedures, therefore creating more chances for errors due to the greater number of procedures and other possible co-morbidity factors.
"Third, the methodology also compares reported data to claims data, with any differences between the data sets attributed to unreported errors. A number of other factors could be the reason for the differences in the data, so that making this assumption is not methodologically sound.
"Finally, the literature in this area has a wide range of other factors that account for changes in regard to cost, not the narrow definition provided in this tool. Without additional reference points or validation, the methodology of this new tool is seriously flawed."
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees