Hospital HIE Use Up 41%, ONC Says
"As of July 17, the official federal list of certified vendor products shows only nine complete 2014 Edition certified EHRs for the inpatient setting, produced by only six vendors. By comparison, the list shows 313 complete 2011 Edition certified inpatient EHRs. On the ambulatory side, only 11 complete 2014 Edition certified EHRs are listed, while about 1,300 were certified for 2011."
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology study found that:
- 58% of hospitals exchanged data with providers outside their organization in 2012 and hospitals' exchanges with other hospitals outside their organization more than doubled during the study period.
- Hospitals with basic EHR systems and participating in HIEs had the highest rates of hospital exchange activity in 2012, regardless of the organizational affiliation of the provider exchanging data or the type of clinical information exchanged.
- The proportion of hospitals that adopted at least a basic EHR and participated in an HIE grew more than fivefold from 2008 to 2012.
- Between 2008 and 2012, there were significant increases in the percent of hospitals exchanging radiology reports, laboratory results, clinical care summaries, and medication lists with hospitals and providers outside of their organization.
- 84% of hospitals that adopted an EHR and participated in a regional HIE exchanged information with providers outside their organization.
Mostashari said more research is needed for care summaries and medication lists because only about one-third of hospitals exchanged clinical care summaries or medication lists with outside providers.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'