5 Bills, 1 Month: AHA Urges Outreach to Legislators Out on Recess
3. The Fairness in Health Care Claims, Guidance and Investigations Act
H.R. 2931 – Introduced by Reps. Howard Coble, (R-NC), and David Scott, (D-GA), this bill would amend the False Claims Act by requiring that federal agencies review their own rules and regulations to determine whether a billing dispute should be pursued as fraud before launching an investigation, and assuring that unintentional billing disputes aren't penalized as harshly as fraud. View fact sheet.
4. The Rural Hospital Access Act
S. 842; H.R. 1787 – Introduced by Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Charles Grassley (R-IA) and Reps. Tom Reed (R-NY) and Peter Welch (D-VT), respectively, this bill would provide for an extension of the Medicare-dependent hospital program and the increased payments under the Medicare low-volume hospital program. View fact sheet.
5. The Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act
S. 1143; H.R. 2801 – Introduced by Sen. Jerry Moran, (R-KS), and by Reps. Kristi Noem, (R-SD), and Collin Peterson, (D-MN), respectively, this bill would protect access to outpatient therapeutic services by adopting a default standard of "general supervision" [rather than "direct supervision"] for outpatient therapeutic services, creating a provider advisory panel to identify those outpatient services complex enough to require direct supervision, and holding hospitals and CAHs harmless from civil or criminal action regarding CMS' retroactive reinterpretation. View fact sheet.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Transforming Cancer Care
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers