5 Bills, 1 Month: AHA Urges Outreach to Legislators Out on Recess
3. The Fairness in Health Care Claims, Guidance and Investigations Act
H.R. 2931 – Introduced by Reps. Howard Coble, (R-NC), and David Scott, (D-GA), this bill would amend the False Claims Act by requiring that federal agencies review their own rules and regulations to determine whether a billing dispute should be pursued as fraud before launching an investigation, and assuring that unintentional billing disputes aren't penalized as harshly as fraud. View fact sheet.
4. The Rural Hospital Access Act
S. 842; H.R. 1787 – Introduced by Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Charles Grassley (R-IA) and Reps. Tom Reed (R-NY) and Peter Welch (D-VT), respectively, this bill would provide for an extension of the Medicare-dependent hospital program and the increased payments under the Medicare low-volume hospital program. View fact sheet.
5. The Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act
S. 1143; H.R. 2801 – Introduced by Sen. Jerry Moran, (R-KS), and by Reps. Kristi Noem, (R-SD), and Collin Peterson, (D-MN), respectively, this bill would protect access to outpatient therapeutic services by adopting a default standard of "general supervision" [rather than "direct supervision"] for outpatient therapeutic services, creating a provider advisory panel to identify those outpatient services complex enough to require direct supervision, and holding hospitals and CAHs harmless from civil or criminal action regarding CMS' retroactive reinterpretation. View fact sheet.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- The Flourishing Medical Tourism Business in America
- Physicians as Economic Powerhouses and Tech Laggards
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge