'Country Doctor of the Year' Embraces Challenges of Rural Medicine
Bosl takes great satisfaction and pride in his work, but he also understands that not every physician is cut out for it. Not only are the hours demanding, global changes in care delivery beyond physicians' control are making times even more challenging for rural providers.
"There are outside forces that really make it difficult to do what I have done," he says. "For somebody coming out of residency, they cannot anymore go to the bank and say, 'Hey, I am a doctor. Loan me all the money you got so I can start a clinic!' That doesn't work. Logistically it is hard and a lot of the younger guys and gals coming out don't have an interest in that any longer. All they want to do is practice medicine—and yes, they do look more at an 8-to-5 job than some of us old fogies."
To encourage young physicians to practice in rural America, Bosl says the first thing he'd tell them is that they don't have to be like him and expect to be on call 24/7. What's harder, he says, is conveying his enthusiasm for practicing medicine in a rural environment. "There is no profession that is more challenging. You never know what is behind door number two. The intellectual stimulation is always going to be there," he says. "I don't recall ever leaving an exam room and feeling that I had no impact on the patient, or feeling that I didn't enjoy the encounter. Yes, there are times when a patient can be difficult. … But to actually practice medicine one-on-one with a patient is so rewarding intellectually and emotionally."
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch