MU Stage 2 Proposed Rules Released
The 455-page document released by HHS also includes these points:
- Stage 1 of meaningful would be extended to fiscal year 2014 and eligible providers would have two full years to participate in Stage 2
- There would be two new menu objectives: Electronic reporting to registries and viewing images through electronic health records
- Eligible providers must meet 17 core objectives and three of five menu objectives
- Hospitals must meet 16 core objectives and two of four menu objectives
- Hospitals and physicians would have to use CPOE for more than 60% of medication, laboratory and radiology orders
- Providers would be required to enable patients to view, download, and transmit their medical records online
- Specialists could qualify for meaningful use by using EHRs that are certified to meet the needs of their specialties
- Stage 2 regulations would require the alignment of clinical quality measures and reporting across accountable care organizations and patient-centered medical homes
The HHS fact sheet may be viewed here. Comments will be accepted for 60 days after the proposed rules are in published in the Federal Register. The final rule is scheduled for release this summer.
Senior editor Cheryl Clark provided additional reporting.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- When a hospital closes
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says