IPPS Proposed Rules Clarify Readmissions Penalties
Also proposed is a component of the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), now a part of the VBP program, that evaluates the effectiveness of patient care transitions.
CMS defines quality and reporting measures that apply specifically to psychiatric hospitals and cancer hospitals. Other measures apply to other long-term care hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers.
CMS will accept comments to the proposed rule until June 25, 2012 and will respond to those comments in a final rule by August 1, 2012.
More specific information on the proposed rule is available here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- 76% of Physicians Don't Like CMS Quality Reporting Programs
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- Aetna Cuts 4 New Accountable Care Deals