IPPS Proposed Rules Clarify Readmissions Penalties
Also proposed is a component of the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), now a part of the VBP program, that evaluates the effectiveness of patient care transitions.
CMS defines quality and reporting measures that apply specifically to psychiatric hospitals and cancer hospitals. Other measures apply to other long-term care hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers.
CMS will accept comments to the proposed rule until June 25, 2012 and will respond to those comments in a final rule by August 1, 2012.
More specific information on the proposed rule is available here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX