IPPS Proposed Rules Clarify Readmissions Penalties
Also proposed is a component of the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), now a part of the VBP program, that evaluates the effectiveness of patient care transitions.
CMS defines quality and reporting measures that apply specifically to psychiatric hospitals and cancer hospitals. Other measures apply to other long-term care hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers.
CMS will accept comments to the proposed rule until June 25, 2012 and will respond to those comments in a final rule by August 1, 2012.
More specific information on the proposed rule is available here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Uncompensated Care Faces a Double Hit in Some States
- Hospital Pricing Transparency a Marketing Game Changer
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions
- Insurer's App Aims to Lower Healthcare Costs, Securely