IPPS Proposed Rules Clarify Readmissions Penalties
Also proposed is a component of the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), now a part of the VBP program, that evaluates the effectiveness of patient care transitions.
CMS defines quality and reporting measures that apply specifically to psychiatric hospitals and cancer hospitals. Other measures apply to other long-term care hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers.
CMS will accept comments to the proposed rule until June 25, 2012 and will respond to those comments in a final rule by August 1, 2012.
More specific information on the proposed rule is available here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised