IPPS Proposed Rules Clarify Readmissions Penalties
Also proposed is a component of the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), now a part of the VBP program, that evaluates the effectiveness of patient care transitions.
CMS defines quality and reporting measures that apply specifically to psychiatric hospitals and cancer hospitals. Other measures apply to other long-term care hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers.
CMS will accept comments to the proposed rule until June 25, 2012 and will respond to those comments in a final rule by August 1, 2012.
More specific information on the proposed rule is available here.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- CMS Confirms ICD-10 Deadline
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts
- Premium Subsidy Fight Creating Uncertainty for Hospitals, Health Plans
- 2015 HIX Premium Hikes May Top 7%