To Improve Hospital Collections, Move Revenue Cycle Up Front
Richmond believes another major advantage to creating a front-end driven revenue cycle is it takes the administrative work out of the clinical setting and improves the overall experience for both patients and physicians.
"High-performing revenue cycle departments have shifted from back-end to front-end processes. It allows the clinical sites to focus on patients while administrative processes can occur in the background… It is about separating the administrative process from the clinical encounter."
"It lets the patient focus on their care. In essence, they arrive, have a quick check-in, and the physician can see them on time. You have a happier patient and a happier physician. Otherwise, it just winds up not being the ultimate experience for either party," Richmond adds.
Before the pre-service center went live, Richmond spent a considerable amount of time educating people within his organization to prepare them for the new business model and to try to overcome any cynicism.
"I wanted everyone to understand how it could impact the patient experience and the physician experience. I did presentations among many physician practices here, as well as a lot of education and discussion forums. That doesn't mean people weren't skeptical, but the proof is in the pudding," he says.
Richmond will share his story during his presentation, "How a Pre-Service Center at MetroHealth System Improved Satisfaction, Efficiency, and Revenue" at HFMA's ANI conference in Orlando on June 18.
- CMS to Speak with ICD-10 Backers Tuesday
- Feds Stonewall ICD-10 Summit
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- Governor Details Healthcare Payment Reform Path in Arkansas
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- Managed Care Contract Negotiations Morph Under PPACA
- Cyberattack Drill Exposes Healthcare's Vulnerabilities
- Physician Payment Data is Where the Action Is
- NY Abolishes Written Practice Agreement for NPs
- MetroHealth Revs Its Population Health Engine