Medical Error Cost Calculator Riles AHA
Hospital organizations, however, strongly objected to the release of the tool.
"The information provided on the Leapfrog Group's new safety tool makes a number of erroneous assumptions in methodology, which are not referenced or validated," says a statement from the American Hospital Association.
"First, it looks at infection data from California and projects that data onto the rest of the county without clearly defining how the methodology adjusts for a variety of factors.
"Second, more complex patients tend to need more procedures, therefore creating more chances for errors due to the greater number of procedures and other possible co-morbidity factors.
"Third, the methodology also compares reported data to claims data, with any differences between the data sets attributed to unreported errors. A number of other factors could be the reason for the differences in the data, so that making this assumption is not methodologically sound.
"Finally, the literature in this area has a wide range of other factors that account for changes in regard to cost, not the narrow definition provided in this tool. Without additional reference points or validation, the methodology of this new tool is seriously flawed."
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings