CMS Releases SNF PPS Final Rule for 2012
MacKenzie Kimball, for HealthLeaders Media, August 2, 2011
- Group therapy clarifications: Effective October 1, 2011, group therapy will be defined as therapy provided simultaneously to four patients who are performing the same or similar activities, and group therapy time will be divided by four in determining the reimbursable therapy minutes for each group therapy participant and, therefore, the appropriate RUG-IV group.
- Five- or seven-day a week therapy clarification: Elimination of the distinction between facilities regularly furnishing therapy services on a 5- or 7-day basis for purposes of setting the date for the End of Therapy (EOT) Other Medicare Required Assessment (OMRA).
- Introduction of the End of Therapy Resumption (EOT-R) OMRA: Effective for services provided on or after October 1, 2011, when an EOT OMRA has been completed and therapy subsequently resumes, SNFs may complete an EOT-R OMRA rather than a Start of Therapy (SOT) OMRA, in cases where the resumption of therapy date is no more than five consecutive days after the last day of therapy provided and the therapy services have resumed at the same RUG-IV level that had been in effect prior to the EOT OMRA.
- Introduction of the Change of Therapy (COT) OMRA: Effective for services provided on or after October 1, 2011, SNFs would be required to complete a COT OMRA for patients classified into a RUG-IV therapy group whenever the intensity of therapy (that is, the total reimbursable therapy minutes provided) changes to such a degree that it would no longer reflect the RUG-IV classification and payment assigned for a given SNF resident based on that resident's most recent assessment used for Medicare payment.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement