Health Insurance Premiums Top $15K for Family of 4
The assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff pointed to the 2.3 million young adults under age 26 who were added to their parents' health insurance plans. DeParle also noted that 23% of workers were in plans that decreased their preventive care cost-sharing due to the ACA while 31% of workers are in plans that changed the list of preventive services due to health reform.
Other findings from the 2011 study include:
- Premiums for worker-only health insurance coverage increased 8 percent to $5,429 annually with workers paying an average $921 toward the coverage.
- The share of companies offering health insurance to their employees remained steady at 60%.
- Some 31% of covered workers are in high-deductible health plans with deductibles of at least $1,000; another 12% face annual deductibles of at least $2,000.
- Average copayments for in-network physician office visits are $22 for primary care and $32 for specialty care.
- Average pharmacy copayments for three- and four-tier drug plans are $10 for generic drugs, $29 for preferred brand-name drugs, $49 for non-preferred brand-name drugs, and $91 for specialty drugs.
- The share of companies with more than 200 workers offering retirees health benefits to their employees remains steady is 26%. That's unchanged from last year and down significantly from 32% in 2007.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- New G-Code to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments