9 in 10 Health Plans Still Tied to FFS Model
"We know that if we don't create the right set of incentives for healthcare quality improvements and cost containment through our payment system, then we will get exactly what we are paying for today. We need to implement payment methods that pay for quality improvement and support quality and create incentives to reduce waste," she says.
Successfully reining in costs while advancing outcomes will require participation from all segments of the healthcare industry, Delbanco says.
"When you look at the national scorecard findings, they aren't a judgment on any one sector of the healthcare system. No one stakeholder can change payments on its own. While CPR is made up largely of healthcare purchasers, they are dependent on the health plans, and, of course, it is up to doctors and hospitals to be willing to accept new forms of payment."
Delbanco is optimistic that CPR will reach its goal and believes the organization will likely set an even more aggressive benchmark for the future. "We have a good chance of beating our goal of 20% by 2020… The important thing is that the 20% was never meant to be a cap… It was meant to set a near-term goal that we could track our progress against that was somewhere between ambitious and realistic. We'll be looking to put our eye on a more ambitious target over time, I'm sure."
Along with the scorecard, CPR also unveiled the National Compendium on Payment Reform, an online database intended to catalogue the various payment reform programs underway across the country. Providers and plans can add their payment reform programs to the Compendium, which CPR says will grow over time.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL