Hospital HIE Use Up 41%, ONC Says
"As of July 17, the official federal list of certified vendor products shows only nine complete 2014 Edition certified EHRs for the inpatient setting, produced by only six vendors. By comparison, the list shows 313 complete 2011 Edition certified inpatient EHRs. On the ambulatory side, only 11 complete 2014 Edition certified EHRs are listed, while about 1,300 were certified for 2011."
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology study found that:
- 58% of hospitals exchanged data with providers outside their organization in 2012 and hospitals' exchanges with other hospitals outside their organization more than doubled during the study period.
- Hospitals with basic EHR systems and participating in HIEs had the highest rates of hospital exchange activity in 2012, regardless of the organizational affiliation of the provider exchanging data or the type of clinical information exchanged.
- The proportion of hospitals that adopted at least a basic EHR and participated in an HIE grew more than fivefold from 2008 to 2012.
- Between 2008 and 2012, there were significant increases in the percent of hospitals exchanging radiology reports, laboratory results, clinical care summaries, and medication lists with hospitals and providers outside of their organization.
- 84% of hospitals that adopted an EHR and participated in a regional HIE exchanged information with providers outside their organization.
Mostashari said more research is needed for care summaries and medication lists because only about one-third of hospitals exchanged clinical care summaries or medication lists with outside providers.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth