Physician's Life a Reminder that Medicine Can Be Noble
In August, the whole town and a slew of visiting dignitaries from across Virginia honored Nichols at a dedication ceremony for a new $1.5 million health clinic on the island, which was named the David B. Nichols Health Center.
"I've received way more than what I've given," Nichols told HealthLeaders Media, of his legacy on the island. "I hope people will remember, Dr. David Nichols tried his best to help people."
If Hollywood made a movie about Nichols' life—how in his final months the whole town turns out to shower him with love, to tell him how he changed their lives, to shake hands and embrace the babies he helped grow into adults—nobody would believe it really happened. But, it did.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers