Physicians Ask Congress for SGR Alternatives
MGMA also wants to "break down the silos" that separate payment systems for Medicare Part A and Part B so that different practice models can be accommodated.
"According to the Congressional Budget Office, physician spending only represents 13% of all Medicare spending versus 32% under Part A (hospital inpatient services and SNF)," Turney wrote.
"To truly address costs, incentives must be aligned to encourage physicians to reduce spending in the highest cost areas of the Medicare program. Many of the new emerging models will only succeed if the silos are broken down, allowing physicians and hospitals to work together to prevent hospitalizations and provide cost effective care."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment