Recruiting HIT Workers is Tough
"Implementing these IT systems are difficult challenges in terms of development and support and understanding the workflows of these systems is very challenging," says Daugherty. "Not only that, but the biggest challenge is moving over all of the legacy systems to the new systems."
Finding enough of IT workers quickly enough to meet the federally mandated deadlines is changing the recruiting landscape for IT.
"We've seen that hospitals in the United States have had to adjust their pay scales and salary ranges for consulting services in IT to compete and attract top talent," says Daugherty. "Not only are they competing with an increased demand for IT in the United States generally, but within healthcare hospitals are competing against each other to attract the best talent."
But even standard recruiting channels present shortcomings for providers. Technology staff in healthcare need to be recruited in a completely different way from other hospital staff. Daugherty says he has been privy to many conversations with provider CIOs and CTOs expressing concern that their HR departments are not recruiting the type of skilled IT workers the system needs, quickly enough, so something had to change.
"True headhunting and recruiting has become more valuable," says Daugherty. "A few years ago, a lot of hospitals were trying to use their own HR staff to recruit and hire IT services. But because these people are not on the job boards regularly and they aren't out there in the market, they weren't having a lot of success. Finding resources within healthcare have been more difficult than ever because especially in this industry, people aren't just out on the street looking for jobs. "
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers