How to Hire Hospital Staff in Volume and Maintain Quality
HLM: What should the priorities for HR budgets and resources be this year?
Margetts: It certainly keeps me awake at night thinking about our company and how we will accomplish our business goals. To do that you have to make sure you have the right players and skill sets. Talent management is an essential focus.
I would like to see us spend more of our resources in that area, but in order to do that you have to address the administrative functions. You have to make sure your transactional functions are taken care of—that they're streamlined and effective, without variations.
HLM: What is the most inefficient use of time in human resources?
Margetts: Transactional work—especially when we don't have the information systems to communicate properly. There's a lot of paperwork and filling out forms everywhere you look. So that does tend to consume a lot of your time when you don't have efficiencies to be able to manage those
HLM: What do you think HR executives should consider when they're looking at a new year and setting their own goals?
Margetts: That depends on what the organization's goals are. What I encourage HR professionals to do is to understand where the company is going. Align yourself with the goals of the company. What issues keep your leaders awake at night?
If you know what those are, then you should try to figure out how you can solve those issues... My advice would be to think about what are the goals of your business and then figure out how your services can help to service those goals.
- 3 Favorite Nursing Trends of 2013
- Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
- SGR Bill's Payment Transparency Provision Elicits Concern
- Premier: ACOs Poised for Growth
- Intelligence Report: Cost-Containment Expertise
- ICD-10: Minimizing the Financial Hit
- 7 Signs Providers Are Opening Up About Bad Healthcare Outcomes
- AAFP: 72% of Patients Prefer Physicians to NPs
- Your Meetings are Wasting Big Money
- SGR Repeal Bill Holds Extra Promise for Rural Hospitals