HR Roundup: Hospital Layoffs Are Full of Excuses
Jeff Balser, M.D., Ph.D., the head of VUMC, is accused of being the ring leader. The suit claims Balser, who worked in the anesthesiology department at the time, collaborated with other physicians to design software that perpetuated its illegal billing practices through its medical records system. VUMC is vehemently denying the allegations.
Meanwhile, in Syracuse, NY, a 20-year employee of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center plead guilty last week to the accusation that she stole $900,000 from patients for over 11 years at the hospital. She allegedly stole money from patients who thought they were paying for television and phone services.
What's the difference between Bonnie Simson, a former nurse manager at the hospital, and Nurse Jackie? Simson isn't accused of stealing narcotics from the hospital, but she was using the money to pay for her painkiller addiction, which cost her between $900 and $1,500 a day, the Post-Standard reports.
Grant Medical Center in Columbus, OH, is watching its hallways a little more closely this week after a woman posing as an employee was reported wandering near the maternity and infant care wings last week. Hospital security assured the local community that the trespasser, who was wearing scrubs and a stethoscope, was unable to access the care unit. In both instances, the woman was escorted from the hospital and hospital officials have filed a criminal complaint.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013