Business Roundup: Healthcare M&A Activity Brisk
Headquartered in Phoenix, Banner Health is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in the country. The system operates in seven states with assets that include 23 acute-care hospitals, the Banner Health Network, Banner Medical Group, long-term care centers, outpatient surgery centers, and an array of other services.
WellMont Health Weighs Its Options
Kingsport, TN-based Wellmont Health System has begun an evaluation of its strategic options, which executives say may include aligning with another health system.
Wellmont CEO Denny DeNarvaez said health systems across the country are preparing for increasing demands for upgrading information technology, quality mandates, and population health management in an environment of low inpatient volumes, reimbursement cuts, and potential performance penalties under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
DeNarvaez says the seven Wellmont hospitals serving Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia face a litany of challenges because of extremely low Medicare payment rates and the high volume of Medicaid and uninsured populations, and the recent decisions by state the governors of Virginia and Tennessee not to expand Medicaid.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- Providers Ask HHS to Address EHR Interoperability Barriers