CMS Responds to OIG Review of Rehab Facilities
"CMS stated they will share the data with the RACs for possible review of post-audit period claims moving forward to ensure their edits are working properly," she says. "But if this sampling period is not managed by the RACs, will CMS recoup identified overpayments prior to completing the appeals process?"
In addition, providers should consider the fact that there appears to be no record pull limitations or recoupment guidelines as is mandated for the RACs in the permanent program. Providers should keep these factors in mind going forward, according to Twist.
"IRF facilities need to consider these matters when planning for their post-payment appeal processes," she says. "In preparation, they should also ensure that they are compliant with the transfer regulations outlined by CMS to avoid future issues."
James Carroll is associate editor for the HCPro Revenue Cycle Institute.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers