Scripps Health to Restructure Management
In the past 20 months, Scripps has saved about $8 million by in-sourcing and standardizing pharmacy management functions.
Scripps has divided the horizontal co-management into four operational divisions:
- Corporate Medical Division, led by CMO Brent Eastman, MD, includes nursing; quality; research and medical management and physician co-management.
- Clinical Operations Division, led by Senior Vice President Barbara Price, includes clinical support; clinical ancillaries; and clinical service lines.
- Support Services Division, led by Senior Vice President John Armstrong, includes surgery, pharmacy and supply chain management; facilities design and construction; and support services.
- Administrative Services Division has already been operating horizontally, and includes finance; human resources; legal; audit and compliance; information services; physician services; community benefit; project management; government affairs; marketing communications; and philanthropy.
Scripps is working with its physician leaders to extend the co-management structure to its 2,500 affiliated physicians, with the aim of laying groundwork for the co-management models called for in healthcare reform. That includes creating clinical workflows designed around best practices.
To avoid layoffs, Scripps has a Career Resource Center to transition employees into new jobs in the health system. Job openings throughout Scripps are being held to create opportunities for staff in the CRC.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic