11 Hot Healthcare Buzzwords for 2011
Look for modifications to the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey that ask even more detailed questions about length of wait times, and whether patients feel their care was well explained. Also anticipate better utilization of volunteers (think Walmart greeters) to ask if waiting patients would like something to read or drink, and improved access to entertainment or the web (movies, TV and internet access) to ease patients' anxiety while they are in a healthcare setting.
7. Alignment. This word means many things to many people, but in this context we're talking about standardization of equipment, procedures and supply purchases, programs, and policies.
Alignment can be considered a fighting word, because hospital systems with multiple facilities and autonomous programs that cater to individual physician or administrator preferences may balk at the imposition of limits. But systems that are steering full steam toward these goals believe that they will be the ones to succeed.
8. Respectful Crisis Management. Sometimes, providers make very big mistakes. But how healthcare systems respond to these unfortunate events can determine whether the next mistake is prevented, or whether it embitters staff, family, the public and the community in a toxic cloud of mistrust and blame.
This term actually represents a growing area of scientific research to find the best management strategies that provide productive responses to a critical healthcare error. Responses that unify the team to acknowledge and mitigate harm and prevent a similar mistake from occurring are the ones to adopt. No one benefits if those who made the mistake are so afraid, they won't dare explain what factors contributed to their making it.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers