4 Ways to Refocus Your Strategic Planning
For example, Geisinger, says Jackie Paul, senior vice president of strategy and business development, works on program development together with a couple of institutions which in the past could have been considered strong competitors. But now, "our specialists go there and work in their institution to work on procedures," she says. "Those are planned together based on their need, and where we have the capacity to help, we do."
2. Quality: Geisinger is focusing on quality care as the movement toward paying for quality accelerates, says Charles.
"This movement toward paying for outcomes to population health management to figuring out ways to deliver care that is high value and convenient are fundamental themes driving our evolution going forward," he says.
A big challenge to quality care is represented in clinician workforce-related trends -- especially with physicians and mid-level practitioners, he says. Across the country, substantial numbers of physicians are late in their careers. Geisinger's strategy on quality reflects the fact that demand for care will continue to increase, which means it may be provided in different settings by people other than physicians.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health