How Hospitals Address Patient Experience via Mobile Apps
To promote the app, JHSMH used some basic media—a press release, an outdoor board on its campus, and some table tents in its cafeteria—but it has mostly focused on word of mouth.
“We haven’t done a lot of traditional marketing,” says Mackovic. “The thing about social media is it doesn’t make sense to advertise in a more traditional way, so we really utilized other social media channels.” For example, the health system posted an explanatory video about the app on its YouTube channel.
As of the end of March, more than 2,100 people have downloaded the app, which is available on iPhone® and BlackBerry® devices.
Focus on core services
Swedish Medical Center, a four-hospital system, also focused on promoting one of its core services and maintaining its relationship with patients when it launched its Kids Symptom Checker app.
The health system has a pediatric specialty care program and delivers more babies than any other facility in Washington, says Tizon. “We have all of these women who come into our facility to deliver their baby and have this incredible experience with us,” she says. “Then they leave and we don’t really see them again, so we have been doing a lot of work to try to maintain that relationship with women after they leave our facility after having their babies.”
To that end, Swedish has been providing health information on its website and now via its new mobile app, which launched this past fall on iPhone devices and was scheduled to be made available for Android™ devices this spring.
- Critical Times for Small and Rural Hospitals
- 2015 OPPS Proposed Rule Detailed
- 4 Hot Healthcare Exec Titles; 1 Not
- Physician Pay Increasingly Linked to Value-based Metrics
- Providence, Swedish Health Launch Employer-Driven ACO
- MU Slides into Summer of Discontent
- Fees Lurk in Health Plans' Shift to e-Payments
- Doc Shortage 'Fix' Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen
- Advanced EHRs Save 10% Per Patient, Study Says
- Infuriated by MOC Rules, Physicians Unleash on Certification Boards