Medicare Fraud Probes Keep DOJ Hopping
The civil lawsuit essentially reiterates the allegations brought forward in the criminal trial.
The fraud, which prosecutors say began in 2003 and continued until late 2009, was brought by whistleblowers Dora Figueroa and Francisca Pages, who both worked for Justice at Pacific Coast Hematology, The women could receive up to 25% of the settlement, as part of the whistleblower statute.
MD Oncologist Pleads Guilty to Purchasing Misbranded Drugs
Isabella Martire, MD, age 52, of Laurel, MD, an oncologist in solo practice, has pleaded guilty to introducing a misbranded drug into interstate commerce.
According to Martire's plea agreement, in 2010, federal law enforcement investigators began investigating a pharmaceutical wholesaler based in England concerning allegations that the company was importing into the United States prescription drugs approved and labeled for use only outside the United States. Further investigation revealed that Martire purchased nearly $200,000 of misbranded prescription drugs from the company in 2010.
Martire used the misbranded drugs to treat her cancer patients. She sought reimbursement from Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, federal employee health benefit plans and private health insurers for reimbursement of the cost of those drugs. The cost savings Martire realized by purchasing the misbranded drugs was at least $790,600 in 2010.
Martire faces a maximum penalty of one year in prison followed by a year of supervised release when she is sentenced on Oct. 17, prosecutors said.
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- How Physicians Can Help Ease Mental Health Provider Shortages
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Physicians as Economic Powerhouses and Tech Laggards
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- The Flourishing Medical Tourism Business in America